We’re Obsessed with Sea Urchin So We Made Uni Risotto With Wasabi CreamJanuary 31, 2020
Okay, okay, I know what you’re going to say. We are overly obsessed with uni that we’re posting about it way too much. First it’s in our trends, then we make a whole post dedicated to where to eat it in the metro–maybe we’ve exhausted the topic. Well, too bad for you, reader! We’re far from being over the stuff, and you’ll have to deal with us as we ride out or infatuation. But really, who can get over sea urchin anyway? Once you’ve scooped those bright orange tongues out of its spiky shell, eaten it with a small spoon out of a wooden box, on top of sushi rice, or had it mixed in with some pasta, you’ll never EVER look back.
Everyone loves uni when mixed in with some creamy pasta, but we are Filipinos after all, and we love our rice. So here is an ode to both, the creamiest risotto you’ll ever have, which isn’t all that difficult to make. It’s chock full of our local sea urchin so it’s not too pricey, but feels as luxurious as a high-end restaurant dish. The uni is soft and creamy in itself, and adds both the sweetness and salty briny-ness one can only get from seafood. The rice and stock combine to make a rich, starchy liquid that mixes with the juices of the uni, and it’s a heady mix of opulence that will have you sighing gluttonous sighs of satisfied relief. It’s the kind of dish that you’d make at a dinner party to impress your guests, but if I were you, I’d whip this up on a lazy day and have it all to myself.
Uni Risotto with Soy Wasabi Cream
Total Time: 45 mins (10 mins prep, 35 mins cooking)
Yield: 3 servings
Ingredients: Uni Risotto
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup uni blended with 1/2 cup milk
- 3-6 cups dashi stock (water + dashi powder)
- dashi, to taste
- fresh uni, for garnish
- nori strips, for garnish
- Melt butter in pan, sauté arborio rice.
- Deglaze with white wine, cook until wine evaporates.
- Add stock a little at a time, continuously mixing while cooking.
- Add enough stock to cook arborio rice to al dente.
- A few minutes before its done, add in uni blended with milk.
- Season to taste.
- Turn off fire and transfer to serving bowls.
- Top with fresh uni, drizzle with soy wasabi cream and finish with nori strips.
Ingredients: Soy Wasabi Cream
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1/2 tbsp wasabi
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- Whisk together until smooth, set aside.