Joey Tribbiani’s Meatball Sub PizzaAugust 12, 2016
In the 12 years since Friends ended, we all watched more re-runs of the sitcom than any other defunct television show of that era. There are several things I miss: Monica’s obsession with cleanliness, Chandler’s unapologetic, cheesy jokes, Ross’ unrequited (and later, realized) feelings for Rachel, Phoebe’s quirks, and of course, Joey’s love of food.
Unfortunately, we can’t wish the show back on air. So while we reminisce on old jokes and debate if Ross and Rachel were truly on a “break,” what better way better to pump the nostalgia than with a bit of a Friends feast. And who better to inspire us than Joey Tribbiani. Throughout the 10 seasons, if there’s anything we’ve learned, it’s that Joey loves his food. Especially his two favorites: Pizza and the best meatball sub in New York.
Our meatball sub pizza seamlessly combines Joey’s favorites in one slice. Prepare yourself for a marathon, our pizza is in for the long haul with you.
Meatball Sub Pizza
Yield: 1 9-inch deep dish pizza
Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes (30 min prep / 35 min cooking)
Ingredients: Pizza Crust
- 1½ cup bread flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup parmesan,
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients: Meatball Sub Filling
- 1 400g canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 10–15 meatballs, cooked
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and parmesan together until combined. Add the water and oil in, and knead until elastic and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, cook the onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes without a lid to reduce and thicken the sauce. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Once the tomato sauce has reduced, put in a blender and puree.
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Oil a 9 inch springform tin and sprinkle cornmeal. Roll out the dough to a large circle that can fit your tin and then an additional 1.5 inches.
- Place the dough into the tin pressing down on the sides. Place the cheese on the base then place a layer of cheese, tomato sauce, meatballs, and more tomato sauce and cheese on top of the meatballs.
- Bake for 20–15 minutes or until the crusts have browned.