The Soup Sloth: Truffle Mushroom SoupJanuary 2, 2019
The Soup Sloth is an 8-part soup series featuring ridiculously simple soup recipes made with Knorr broth cubes. It’s perfect for people who want a hearty bowl of soup, but with none of the fuss.
Around this time of year, most people would recommend gourdy, wintertime vegetables (such as squash or pumpkin, and usually combined with carrots or potatoes) as the perfect base to make soups with.
We’re not most people.
Our Truffle Mushroom Soup is made from a combination of dry and fresh mushrooms that are deliciously browned with a pat of butter. Knorr Beef and Chicken cubes are combined in the same pot to bring about a bold, meaty flavor in the soup base. Onions, and a swirl of cream, add a touch of sweet richness that ties all the different flavors together into a rich harmonious whole. Finally, just the slightest bit of truffle paste and the smallest drizzle of truffle oil elevate this dish to an entirely different level.
Well-made soups and broths are a source of great comfort in places that actually experience winter. But though we have to make do with crushed Styrofoam bits and indoor winter wonderlands here in the Philippines, the lack of actual snow doesn’t prevent us from properly appreciating a delicious bowl of soup. With the cold December breeze just around the corner, we all deserve some warmth in our lives.
Truffle Mushroom Soup
Total Time: 25 minutes / Yield: 3 servings
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 pcs dry mushrooms, soaked in 3/4 cup water & sliced
- 200 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped white onion
- 3 cups (700ml) water
- 1 Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1/4 cup cream, for the soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp truffle paste
- 1/2 tsp truffle oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Fresh black pepper, for serving
- Melt the butter in a pot. Sauté together both the fresh and dry mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, or they reach a light brown color. Set aside 1-2 tbsp of sautéed mushrooms for garnish.
- Add in the onions and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add the water, then add the Knorr Beef and Chicken cubes. Boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cream and continue boiling for another minute.
- Transfer everything to a blender and purée until smooth.
- In the same pot, melt butter again and add in the flour. Cook for 1 minute or until it sizzles.
- Slowly add in puréed soup while continuously whisking.
- Wait for it to boil, and then add in the truffle paste and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil for another 20 seconds, and then turn off the fire and transfer to bowls.
- Garnish with the sautéed mushroom you set aside mixed with some chopped parsley.
- Serve warm.