Trending Now: Clover Chip Crusted Mac and CheeseSeptember 23, 2016
When I think of the best way to devour a bag of chips, I’m pretty straightforward: just dive in and grab as much as I can. (An unappetizing sight, I know) Unfortunately, I don’t leave much for imagination—that’s what growing up with brothers does to you. Finding out about a certain fast food chain’s snacks dredged in Cheetos crumbs changed my perspective. The crazy childhood dreams we all had as kids has come to life—in the form of deep fried unctuous mac and cheese coated in chips crumbs. Now, the question is, what would make any kid at heart’s eyes pop out in disbelief? Two words: Clover chips. The classic Filipino favorite distinctly flavors these mac and cheese logs. A single bite of these rendered us speechless and in awe. Let our recipe for clover chip crusted mac and cheese leave you surprised and hungry for more treats your younger self would love.
Clover Chip Crusted Mac and Cheese
Yield: 4–6 servings
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes (20 min prep / 45 min chilling / 15 min cooking)
- 250g elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups clover chips, crushed
- flour, for breading
- canola oil, for frying
- In a pot, melt butter and mix the flour in. Cook the roux mixture in low heat for 2 minutes and add in the milk. Whisk vigorously.
- Let it boil for a few minutes and add in the cheese, mix until melted. Once melted, turn off the heat and add in the cooked macaroni. Lay on a tray and chill for 45 minutes or until cool to handle.
- Roll cold macaroni and cheese into 2-inch logs. Place on baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes. Place clover chips into a food processor and crush to a fine crumb.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and place flour in another bowl.
- Dip macaroni logs into flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and in the clover chip crumbs.
- Heat oil to 350˚F. Fry for 2–3 minutes or until the outside is just starting to turn golden brown. Set aside and drain the excess oil.