A Heart Attack Sitting in a Pool of Peanut Sauce: Crispy Pata Kare-KareAugust 8, 2018
- Mikka WeeWords
Sunday lunch is our weekly excuse to overeat and overstuff ourselves silly even if our buttons are about to pop. It is also the perfect time to gather around the table with family members and feast on Filipino favorites such as sinigang, adobo, and the eye-widening dish, kare-kare.
Now we all know how grueling it is to prepare this dish. It takes hours to boil the oxtail, a watchful eye while toasting the rice, and those annatto seeds are quite a handful to prepare. Alright, just kidding. We know it’s not that bad, but we took the short cut and used Mama Sita’s instant Kare-Kare Mix instead. During the preparation though, we added half a cube of beef bouillon to amplify the meaty flavor of the kare-kare in the peanut sauce mix.
For the meat, we thought of adding a mischievous twist and decided on a big, fat deep-fried crispy pata for the meat component. You can make your own using the recipe below, but if you’re on lazy mode, you can just buy one instead.
This dish is definitely not made for the faint of heart, but wouldn’t it be such a lethal yet ecstatic feeling to dive into this Crispy Kare-Kare, sink your teeth into a piece of pata, and feel all that oil gush out of the fat? Oh yes, I’m feeling the goosebumps.
Total Time: 30 minutes, Crispy Pata: 1 day / Yield: 4-6 servings
Ingredients for the Crispy Pata
- 1 whole crispy pata (see below for homemade recipe)
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 laurel leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- Water enough to cover
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for the Kare-Kare
- 1 pack Mama Sita’s Kare Kare Mix
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cube beef bouillon
Ingredients for Vegetables (to blanch upon serving)
- Banana heart
- String beans
- Bagoong, on the side
Procedure for Crispy Pata
- Put all ingredients in pot and boil pata in salted water for 1-2 hours or until tender.
- Drain and hang dry meat for 2 hours or overnight in chiller. Make sure pata is very dry.
- Deep fry in very hot oil until skin blisters.
Procedure for Kare-Kare Sauce
- Dissolve kare-kare mix in 2 cups water.
- Boil kare-kare mix.
- Add 1/2 cube beef bouillon.
- Stir until bouillon cube is completely dissolved.
- Set aside.
- Arrange sauce on platter.
- Blanched vegetables on the side.
- Put crispy pata in the middle.
- Serve with bagoong.