- 2 cups freeze dried mango
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered freeze dried mango + more for topping
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ cups dried mango, diced
These Dark Chocolate Mango Cookies Are Our Way of Showing Filipino Pride This Buwan ng WikaAugust 4, 2019
Buwan ng Wika is that time of the year when we celebrate Filipino languages. Yes, plural, because we have about 185 of them, in case you didn’t know. It‘s also an excuse for us to take pride in all things local: traditions, clothing, and, of course, food. (We mean that in a heightened sense; we should all be promoting and supporting local all-year-round.) This time, we’re shining the spotlight on two ingredients that are great on their own, but even better together: (dark) chocolate and mangoes—in cookie form.
This recipe calls for powdered freeze-dried mangoes, which replaces a portion that’s meant to be flour in usual cookie recipes; the cocoa powder is also used in the same way. The combo gives the cookie batter itself a delicious bittersweet flavor profile. Additionally, the dried mango bits give it a hint of sourness. Be warned: it’s extremely hard to stop munching on these. Maybe it’s the soft cookie, maybe it’s the complex flavors, maybe it’s the familiar taste. Whatever it is, we won’t judge you if you finish all 24 cookies in one go.
Dark Chocolate Mango Cookies
- Serves: 6-8 people
- Active time: 45 mins
- Total time: 1 hr
- Difficulty: Easy
- Special tools: Food processor
- Place freeze dried mango in a food processor and blitz until powdered.
- Set aside 1/4 cup for the recipe, and save the rest for later.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, add white sugar, brown sugar, and melted butter.
- Whisk until well combined and lighter in color and texture.
- Add eggs and beat until well incorporated.
- Sift in all purpose flour, cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of the powdered freeze dried mango, and baking soda into the bowl.
- Fold together with a spatula until well incorporated, taking care not to overmix.
- When just combined, add dried mango and fold in.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or butter.
- Scoop dough by the 1/2 cup onto the sheets, leaving about a 2-3 inch gap in between cookies (they will spread a lot when baked).
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes, removing trays halfway and lightly banging the trays on the oven rack to create crispier edges.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool before serving.