The Next Best Thing to Mac & Cheese: Taco Pasta BakeJuly 25, 2018
- Mikka WeeWords
When I put my pigface on, I find myself craving for pasta and tacos at the same time. I’m really fond of both dishes; that’s why when we thought of slapping both together into a single pasta dish, my eyes lit up like I just got a free pass to a 5-star buffet.
This Taco Pasta Bake is a curious alternative to your typical Bolognese or Carbonara. It combines the spicy flavors you’d find in a taco by having them dance merrily on a bed of cheesy penne. It’s quite spot on if you’re craving for something in between Mexican and Italian.
This is probably the next best thing to the classic Mac & Cheese. So it’s worth a shot if you want a bit of Nacho Libre vibes to your All-American meal.
Taco Pasta Bake
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings, estimated
- 250 grams whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 250 grams ground beef
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ortega taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup spreadable cheese (we used Laughing Cow)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta as directed in package, set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add beef and cook for 3-5 minutes (make sure not to overcook).
- Season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning.
- Turn off fire.
- Toss together meat and pasta mixture.
- Mix in spreadable cheese.
- Transfer to a casserole. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese has melted.