This Tablea Eggnog is a Chocolate Drink Made Especially for Grown-Ups OnlyDecember 23, 2014
Just like Pumpkin Spice, it still puzzles me whenever I think about eggnog and why it has not yet become a #trendingholidaydrink in a third wave coffee-obsessed Metro Manila. Eggs abound especially during the holidays. You’ve got oodles and oodles of yema and leche flan being served up, and eggnog, I feel, falls under the same eggy vein as these desserts.
Eggnog puts many people off (especially adults) because of its “raw egg” factor. But come on, egg whites mixed in your cocktail was never a problem. Same goes for this holiday drink. Whiskey or bourbon is mixed in with some heavy cream and nutmeg and topped with some frothy egg white. Some variations include spiced rum, which I absolutely love.
Today, we’re doing a local rendition of eggnog by incorporating some tablea to the boozy mix. The result is a delightful, full-bodied, rich chocolate drink that’s poised to get you in the right mood especially during those frazzling holiday get-togethers. Of course, you can also opt to hold the bourbon, but that would sound pretty boring if you did.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings, estimated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 pieces tablea
- 2-3 tbsp whiskey or bourbon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp sugar, to whisk with the egg yolks
- 1 tbsp sugar, to whisk with the egg whites
- Whisk in the sugar and yolks together.
- In a pot, heat together 1/4 cup sugar, milk, cream and tablea.
- Before it simmers, make sure tablea has melted in the milk.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp sugar and 4 yolks until thick until ribbon stage (thick and flowy).
- Pour in the scalded milk while whisking continuously. Add in whiskey or bourbon and then set aside.
- Whisk egg white until frothy, add in 1 tbsp sugar and whisk until soft peaks.
- Fold into the yolk mixture then serve.