Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Herbed Chicken & ArugulaSeptember 1, 2016
This recipe originally appeared in Tablecrafter, the world’s easiest way to learn food photography and styling.
In the pursuit of leading a healthy life, we may nevertheless sometimes feel that compromises must be made. These usually start with our food. Unfortunately, a lot of people see healthy food only as bland meals that are no fun to prep and eat, but what if we told you this doesn’t have to be the case?
Here we have a well-balanced meal with a good helping of healthy carbohydrates from the sweet potato gnocchi, protein from the chicken breast, and fiber from the arugula. The interplay between the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the peppery flavors of the arugula help accentuate the herbed chicken. If you feel like going rogue, feel free to use butter instead of olive oil, or use other types of cheese like pecorino or ricotta cheese for a creamier texture.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Herbed Chicken and Arugula
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 1 hour and 30 mins (30 mins prep / 30 mins cooking / 30 mins marinating)
- 500g cooked sweet potato, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, filleted and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 cup arugula, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, optional for serving
Procedure: Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Boil the sweet potato with the skin on until tender, about 20 minutes. Peel and mash, or push through a ricer.
- On a floured surface, turn over the mashed sweet potato. Incorporate the flour and egg. Knead the dough for five minutes, or until it is smooth and well-combined.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Roll each section into two-centimeter logs. Cut the dough into small two-centimeter pieces. Roll the pieces in your palms to form balls.
- Gently push the balls against the back of a fork or gnocchi board while simultaneously pushing outward. Arrange the formed gnocchi on a tray dusted with flour.
- Prepare a pot of boiling salted water. Gently drop the gnocchi in. Once the gnocchi begins to float, cook for 40 seconds more. The entire process should be about 2–3 minutes.
- Gently remove the pasta with a slotted spoon. Toss with olive oil and set aside.
Procedure: Herbed Chicken
- Marinate the chicken slices for at least 30 minutes with garlic, a teaspoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, and half the sage.
- In a wide pan over medium heat, add the butter or olive oil and cook the marinated chicken. Add the remaining sage leaves.
- Add the gnocchi and toss. Add the arugula and turn off the heat, mix gently, and serve immediately. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.