Ditch the Chocolate Cake for this Dynamite Tuna Sushi OneAugust 11, 2015
When we saw these massive carb-layered cakes making rounds on our social media feeds, we thought that whoever brought these sushi cakes to life must’ve been either one (or both) of two things: drunk or high.
Well, whatever that person was on must’ve worked. This ingenious makeover to the staple Japanese roll got us curious, so we decided to translate it into a variant that we would constantly crave for and torture ourselves over—Dynamite Tuna Sushi Cake. With alternating layers of rice, cucumber, and tobiko, we’ve also managed to sneak in some sweet kani sticks and spicy tuna sashimi tossed in rich, eggy Kewpie, making this a possible alternative to a boring chocolate birthday cake. Looks prettier, too, don’t you agree?
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 9-inch cake
Ingredients: Spicy Tuna
- 500 grams good quality raw tuna
- 4 tbsp japanese mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp togarashi
- 1/2 tbsp chili oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tobiko
Procedure: Spicy Tuna
- Cut the tuna into medium cubes.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Leave the spicy tuna in the refrigerator to chill until ready to use.
Ingredients: Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
Procedure: Sushi Rice
- Rinse the rice 2 to 3 times or until the rinsing water runs clear.
- Put the rice and water together in a pot and put on high heat.
- Bring the rice and water to a boil, uncovered.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat as low as possible and cover the pot.
- Leave the rice for 15 minutes or until it is cooked and the water has been absorbed.
- Take the pot of the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cooked rice, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Set rice aside until ready to use.
- 1 recipe sushi rice (about 2 cups)
- 1 recipe spicy tuna (about 2 cups)
- 2 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 large mangoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded kani
- Take a third of the cucumber slices and lay them flat on a cutting board.
- Take a 9 inch plate or round and trace around the cucumber to make a circle.
- Lay the first layer of cucumber onto your serving platter.
- Next, take half the sushi rice and press it onto the cucumber, following the shape. Make sure that the cucumber is evenly covered and the rice is as level as possible.
- Take half of the shredded kani and evenly distribute it over the rice.
- Repeat steps 1-2 and place another layer of cucumber over the kani.
- Layer the spicy tuna mixture over this, setting aside about 1/4 cup for the top.
- Lay the slices of mango over the spicy tuna.
- Take the rest of the rice and place this over the mango.
- Top the rice with the rest of the shredded kani, and one more layer of sliced cucumber.
- Finish the cake with the remaining spicy tuna and garnish with seaweed if desired.
- Chill the sushi cake for 10 minutes before serving.