From the East to the West, everyone loves toast. It’s the one of the best things to wake up to in the morning, a quick grab-and-eat alternative for the worker on the go. In places like Japan, Korea, and Taiwan, they do their bread fluffy and high, with brick toast the foil to many sweet offerings. It often comes with generous amounts of honey, then piled on with whipped cream, fruits, ice cream, or anything sugary you can think of. On the opposite end of the spectrum, now trending in the States and Europe, is breakfast toast, crisp and buttered, with savory ingredients such as avocado, chorizo and poached eggs ladled on top.
So this got us thinking: what if we combine the two versions in a ridiculous, almost over-the-top rendition? Get a thick brick that’s covered in butter and sugar, but top it with all the meaty, robust flavors of what people love to see on their savory toast? Put a load of soft avocados, spicy toasted chorizo with sweet onions, and a seriously wet fried egg on the thing? Well we decided to, and we think this thing is so deliciously easy, you’ll wake up a little earlier for work to eat the whole thing.
A Toast to Toast
Total Time: 25 mins
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 pcs thick toast
- 1-2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pc ripe avocado, halved & cored then sliced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 pcs white onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup spanish chorizo, cubed
- 2 pcs fried egg
- Brush toast with butter. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Heat in the oven toaster until light brown.
- While waiting for the toast, cook chorizo & onions.
- Heat oil and sauté onions until soft.
- Add in chorizo and sauté until the onions turn reddish, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off fire and set aside, keep warm.
- Once toast is browned, top with fried egg, 1/2 of the sautéed chorizo & onions, and then top with sliced avocado.
- Repeat for the other toast.