For your kids, going back to school means adjusting to a hectic schedule after weeks of taking a well-deserved break. They may be looking for something comforting when coming home from school after a long day, and a homemade clam chowder might just be the answer.
So why not make a bowl of Creamy Miso Clam Chowder to reward them after a tough day at school? We’ve put a bit of an inventive spin on this classic by adding ingredients that will elevate their dining experience—miso and dashi, to turn salty into umami, and NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream to make it rich and creamy.
Creamy Miso Clam Chowder
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4-6 Servings, estimated
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 kg clams
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 pack NESTLÉ® ALL PURPOSE CREAM (250 ml)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1 tsp dashi
- 2-4 tsp white japanese miso
- salt, to taste
- Boil water and add the clams. Cook until they open. Strain them out, but put the clam stock aside.
- Melt butter in a pan and sauté the onions. Add flour and wait for the mixture to sizzle.
- Add the reserved clam stock and NESTLÉ ALL PURPOSE CREAM® in a continuous stream, while continuously stirring the mixture.
- Add in carrots and corn. Season with dashi and miso, then bring to a boil for around 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the clams. Season to taste, and simmer for another minute.
- Serve immediately.