These Special Swedish Meatballs are Perfect for the Cold WeatherMarch 20, 2019
There are four things I know about Sweden; that they used to be Vikings, that practically their entire female population is ready to sub in as a Sports Illustrated (the swimsuit edition) cover girl at a moment’s notice, that they give their babies totally metal names like Algrim and Eevaliisa, and that they’re really good at coming up with mass produced, modular, DIY furniture.
Weirdly enough, despite all the pretty tables, chairs (and the random armoire here and there) that IKEA sells on a daily basis, their meatballs are one of the things people consistently come back for in their outlets again and again. This is not a surprise since the things are pretty tasty, even if sometimes they do come with surprise animals mixed in.
While the Swedish Meatballs we’ve made here have
unfortunately zero horse meat in them, they’re still plenty delicious. The standard combination of beef, pork, and chopped vegetables is given a slight twist with generous amounts of additional mushrooms, garlic, and onions. Also, the white sauce’s classic gravy flavors work really well together with the meat.
Special Swedish Meatballs
Total Time: 60 minutes | Yield: 4-5 Servings
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- 2/3 kg ground beef
- 1/3 kg ground pork
- 200 g celery
- 50 g garlic
- 1 tsp cumin (optional, but we added it for more flavor)
- Carrots, finely chopped (we used three small ones)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 250 g chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups all-purpose cream
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- Liquid seasoning
Procedure for the Meatballs
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Form the mixture into balls and then deep fry (around 5-10 minutes).
- Set aside the cooked meatballs on a plate.
Procedure for the Sauce
- Sauté the garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil. Add salt to sweat the onions, releasing its flavors.
- Add the mushrooms. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the cream and seasoning.
- Wait for the sauce to bubble a bit, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place meatballs on a serving dish.
- Toss with the mushroom cream sauce.
- Assemble an OLOFSTORP Kitchen Storage Unit (optional)