This Barako Champorado Pretty Much Sums Up Our Idea of a Happy BreakfastJune 7, 2015
John Gunther once said that all happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. I could not agree more. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. More often than not, we rush through our mornings gobbling down greasy sausage sandwiches that we buy at drive through windows and call it breakfast. That’s not breakfast–at least not in my dad’s house.
Like most people, no one in our house joyfully wakes up for breakfast on Saturday mornings except for my parents. While sleeping in is our itinerary, my dad’s itinerary is jolting us awake from REM sleep and forcing us to eat breakfast. My siblings somehow always manage to ignore him, but I never can. I would try, but then I’d smell the bacon–or whatever greasy thing he’s preparing–and I’d find myself magically transported to the dining room. If we’re having rice, the first thing I look at is not the ulam, but the coffee that my dad is having. Sure enough, he’d get the signal, grab his cup of coffee, and pour a generous amount over my rice and top it with copious amounts of white sugar. That may have contributed to my ADHD, but that’s how good breakfast was at my house.
Today’s recipe attempts to bring my dad’s magic into everyone’s kitchen. The deconstruction allows one to participate in the fun of dictating the flavors of the dish, while the use of sticky rice transforms it into a more luxurious breakfast fare. Top it off with about half a kilo of crispy bacon, and you’re good to go.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings, estimated
- 200 g sticky rice
- 500-1000 ml water
- 50 ml condensed milk
- 100 ml coffee
- 50 ml cream or milk
- Wash the sticky rice around 3-5 times to remove the extra starch.
- Cook the sticky rice in the same way you would cook normal rice. Another alternative is to steam the rice using bamboo.
- Once the sticky rice is cooked to the desired consistency, place the sticky rice in a pan.
- Add cream or milk into the sticky rice and stir.
- Take the sticky rice mixture and place it on a bowl.
- Add coffee and condensed milk to achieve your preference of sweetness.
- Serve immediately.