Enjoy a Low-Fat Meal with These Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs with NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt Mango ChutneySeptember 24, 2019
Ask anyone to think of Middle Eastern cuisine and more often than not kebabs will come up in the conversation. Chicken Kebab in particular is like biting right into the Middle East—there’s a certain dryness and heat, not to mention a mouthful of spices that greet your palate.
Pepper has cooked up some Chicken Kebabs with Mango Chutney using a NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt marinade that provides a low-fat option without sacrificing the flavor. Fat is good for the body until a certain extent, and replacing normal fatty foods with yogurt helps the body manage its fat consumption.
Aside from having the goodness of milk, fruits, and live microorganisms, yogurt is also known as a tenderizing agent, helping break down the tough muscle found in meat. When making this recipe, it’s important not to scrimp on the marinating time. We recommend soaking the chicken in the yogurt marinade for at least 8 hours or overnight. This will make the Kebabs almost pillow soft with every bite.
The mango chutney, which we made also using NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt, is a great complement to the kebab. There’s a level of sweetness to it, but mellowed down by the heat of the chili powder and the freshness of the cilantro leaves. To complete the Middle Eastern feel, serve it up together with roasted tomatoes and onions, and heaps rice pilaf.
Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs with NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Mango Yogurt Chutney
Total Time: 2 hours | Yield: 6-8 servings
Ingredients: Madras Spice Mix
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tbsp cloves
- 1/4 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp paprika
Procedure: Madras Spice Mix
- Stir together spices together.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Ingredients: Chicken Kebabs
- 2 cups NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt – Mango
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- madras spice mix
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into large cubes
Procedure: Chicken Kebabs
- In a large bowl, combine NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt – Mango , olive oil, tomato paste, cilantro, prepared madras spice mix, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Toss in the cubed chicken breast and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Place chicken through skewers, distributing evenly.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
- Set aside.
Ingredients: Mango and Cilantro Chutney
- 3 large mangoes
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt – Mango
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup picked cilantro leaves
Procedure: Mango and Cilantro Chutney
- Peel and pit the mangoes.
- Cut into thin slices using a spoon.
- Toss the mango in the NESTLÉ Fruit Selection Yogurt .
- Arrange on a large serving platter.
- Sprinkle with lime juice, chili powder, salt, and cilantro leaves.
- Place chicken skewers over the top and serve.