Turn Lasagna into a Cheesy, Creamy DipMay 19, 2016
Comfort often means a bowl of noodles around the world. Be it a Singaporean laksa, or a carbonara in parts of Italy, to pho beloved all over Vietnam—a bowl of noodles seem to leave both the tummy and the heart full. The warming depth of a slice of lasagna, straight out of the oven, evokes the same feeling—maybe it has something to do with the combination of meat in a robust tomato sauce, and layers of cream and cheese.
Imagine if all these ingredients were crammed into one snackable dip, which makes delving into the dish just a little bit more satisfying. The creaminess comes from Nestlé All Purpose Cream, the bolognese a mix of crushed tomatoes and beef, and the chips are strips of crispy lasagna. Layer all the delicious components that make lasagna covetable, and turn it into a snack worthy for any dinner table, or even nights parked on the couch with your favorite movie.
A pairing with melba toast would make for a more elegant appetizer for special home-cooked dinners. Mozzarella cheese sticks—whether store-bought and microwaveable, or made from scratch—could also make for more filling fare.
Lasagna Dip and Pasta Chips
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the Lasagna Dip
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp white onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small can crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp paprika
- Oregano, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Nestlé All Purpose Cream
- ½ cup grated quick melting cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp basil, cut thinly
Ingredients for Pasta Chips (Optional):
- 6 pcs lasagna noodles, boiled and cut into 5 pcs
- Cooking oil for frying
Procedure for the Lasagna Dip
- Heat oil and sauté garlic and onions until fragrant and tender. Add bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Add ground beef and cook until it turns pale brown. Add in tomato paste and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and paprika. Mix well and simmer for 3–5 minutes adding a little water if necessary. Season to taste with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir in Nestlé All Purpose Cream and cheese. Mix well then turn off fire.
- Transfer to a cast iron pan or baking dish. Top with more grated cheese.
- Broil in the oven for 5–7 minutes until cheese melts. Alternatively, heat in the microwave oven for 1 minute to melt cheese.
- Finish dip with basil. Serve immediately.
Procedure for Pasta Chips (Optional):
- Pan-fry boiled & cut noodles in oil until crispy, about 2–3 minutes per side.
- Drain in paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with the dip.