Croquetas are one of the many examples of how Spanish cuisine has permeated ours. The bite-sized balls have become a staple in the country in many forms and iterations, from the traditional ones that appear at family gatherings, to unconventional restaurant takes dreamt up by a chef. It is the combination of a crispy exterior and creamy core that makes the croqueta so universal.
While the fillings are often dotted with jamon or maybe shredded chicken, here is a take that is both innovative, and instantly comforting. Combining gambas with croquetas is a simple, ingenious idea that is incredibly luxurious. We’ve created a soft, melting interior using Nestlé Cream, and enhanced the flavor of shrimp with some stock made from its juices. Each bite yields a generous amount of shrimp, enhanced with nutmeg to give the distinct taste found in a plate of gambas. A creamy remoulade makes things a little bit richer, but with a tartness from pickle juice, and spice from sriracha, you can’t complain.
Yield: 4–6 servings
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Ingredients for Croquetas
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup Nestlé Cream
- 400 g cooked shrimps, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Ingredients for Breading
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup Japanese bread crumbs (Panko)
- Cooking oil for frying
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Ingredients for Creamy Remoulade
- ¾ cup Nestlé Cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tsp minced white onion
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp pickle juice
- 2 tsp pickle relish
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce or sriracha
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan and melt butter. Add in flour and cook until it bubbles. Make sure to mix well.
- Slowly add in shrimp stock while continuously whisking the mixture.
- Whisk in Nestlé Cream. Simmer until you get a thickened sauce mixture.
- Add chopped shrimps. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Combine well and cool completely.
- Once mixture is cooled, take spoonfuls and form into balls.
- Roll in flour, dip in beaten egg and coat with panko breadcrumbs. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Keep in the chiller for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare Creamy Remoulade sauce by mixing all ingredients together, keep in the chiller until ready to use.
- Preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Deep fry croquetas in batches. Drain excess oil in kitchen paper.
- Transfer to serving plate, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with Creamy Remoulade.