When it comes to quick desserts, the classic English eton mess is often overlooked. Basically an assembly of meringue, cream, and fruits layered one on top of the other—a dessert which makes you want to dig your spoon all the way to the bottom of the glass. It’s incredibly easy to put together, and requires ingredients that can even be store-bought, without compromising on the outcome’s potential flavors.
While Nestlé All Purpose Cream makes for a velvety canvas for the eton mess, throw in more Filipino ingredients to put a bit of a spin on things, and make something this simple a little more exciting. Chop in some suman for a chewy, textural bite, and replace berries with fresh, sweet mangoes. Forget classic syrup; add coco jam to add sugary nuttiness, and top it all off with flakes of coconut to bring England to the tropics.
Filipino Eton Mess
Yield: 3 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for the Cream Mixture
- 2 packs Nestlé All Purpose Cream 250ml, chilled overnight
- 2–3 tbsp powdered sugar
Ingredients for Assembly
- ¾ cup chopped white suman
- 1 ½ cup chopped mangoes
- 2 cups store bought meringue shells, crumbled
- ⅓ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (or substitute your favorite type of nuts)
- 4 tbsps coco jam syrup, (coco jam in jar, diluted with 1 tbsp water)
- Coconut flakes (store-bought) as topping (you may also use crushed broas or chopped dried mangoes)
Procedure for Cream Mixture
- Whip chilled Nestlé All Purpose Cream until light and fluffy, about 2–3 minutes.
- Whisk in powdered sugar. Set aside in chiller until ready to use.
- Divide suman into 3 jars.
- Top with some mangoes, then crushed meringue and nuts, then cream mixture.
- Drizzle with coco jam syrup.
Top again with mangoes, crushed meringue, nuts, and cream mixture. Drizzle again with coco jam syrup and finish with coconut flakes on top.