Check Out Our MUJI Mini Dessert Table with Three Recipes Made with MUJI ProductsApril 10, 2015
When it comes to the art of cooking, most people are frightened at the thought of baking. It has the notorious reputation of being hard to pull off, the kind of exact science that requires the use of measuring cups, or weighing scales and precise measurements. The common belief is that if any part of the recipe is even slightly off, the whole dish could change, or even be a disaster. Pepper has paired up with Muji to make baking more approachable–so approachable in fact, that we even teach you how to make three recipes for a Japanese-themed dessert table! They’re trendy recipes too so you can easily impress people with how much you’ve done.
Custaroons, biscuits, and flan all with a Japanese flavor profile, that aren’t too complicated and seriously delicious? Yes, better believe it. We’ve made black sesame flan using the silicone flower mold, pairing the nuttiness of the dessert favorite with sweet milk. Using the Muji letter cookie cutters, we created some pretty easy green tea butter cookies that will satisfy anyone matcha-crazy. And for the modern custaroon, we’ve inserted some red bean for luscious earthiness, with an easy-to-use silicone mold. Your Japanese dessert table is sure to have people swooning.
1. Black Sesame Flan
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients: Black Sesame Flan
- 1 1/2 tbsp gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp black sesame paste
Procedure: Black Sesame Flan
- Bloom gelatin in water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat milk, cream, sugar and black sesame paste in a pot until before boiling. Turn of fire and mix in bloomed gelatin.
- Mix until gelatin melts into the mixture. Strain mixture and transfer to mold.
- Refrigerate overnight.
*Tip: submerge briefly in warm water to loosen pudding from the mold.
2. Green Tea Butter Cookies
Total Time: 27 minutes
Yield: 4 dozen letters
Ingredients: Green Tea Butter Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/2 cup green tea powder, sweetened (adjust according to brand)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pc egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- vanilla, optional
Procedure: Green Tea Butter Cookies
- Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs. Add green tea powder and milk. Add vanilla if using. Mix in flour and baking powder.
- Knead dough and form into a ball. Flatten to about 1/3″ thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut desired letters.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake in preheated 350° Fahrenheit oven for 8-12 minutes.
- Let cool and serve. Store leftovers in air tight container.
3. Red Bean Custaroons
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4-5 dozens, estimated
Ingredients: Red Bean Custaroons
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 pcs eggs
- 4 pcs yolk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup red bean (japanese adzuki bean)
Procedure: Red Bean Custaroons
- In a bowl, whisk together condensed milk, eggs and melted butter. Mix in desiccated coconut and fold in red beans.
- Scoop the mixture into macaroon pans.
- Bake in preheated 350° Fahrenheit oven 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.
Follow On: Facebook
Branches: Bonifacio High Street Central, Power Plant Mall at Rockwell Center, Greenbelt 3, SM Mall of Asia, Robinsons Magnolia, Shangri-La Plaza East Wing and Ayala Center Cebu