Toaster Gourmet: Ricotta Toast with TuyoAugust 3, 2016
We take the versatile oven toaster back to its roots, but a notch higher. On the heels of the crowd favorite, avocado toast, our ricotta toast serves as a great alternative for days when you’re feeling naughty. Our toast seamlessly combines the fruity sweetness of apples, pungency of tuyo, and mild ricotta. Don’t be daunted by the lengthy cooking period it takes to prepare the apple butter—once you’ve cooked it down, you’re well on your way to our gourmet ricotta toast.
So whether you’re feeling peckish for a light snack or if you’re looking for a grown up appetizer, our recipe for toast is an easy solution to your needs. We promise that all your friends and family will love this toast (plus no one needs to know how easy it was!).
Ricotta Toast with Tuyo Flakes
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (20 min prep / 1 hour and 10 min cooking)
Ingredients: Apple Butter
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
Ingredients: Ricotta Toast
- 1 crusty Monge batard, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pack ricotta or another soft buttery cheese
- 1 bottle tuyo flakes
- sage, for garnish
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
Procedure: Apple Butter
- Stir all ingredients together in a pot. Cover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes or so until apples are cooked and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove the pot from stove and let cool, uncovered. Puree the apple mixture with an immersion blender until it’s smooth and buttery.
- If you want to thicken your apple butter after puréeing it, cook the mixture further over low heat until it’s reached your desired level of thickness.
Procedure: Ricotta Toast
- Lay bread slices on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle baguette slices with a bit of olive oil and toast for 5 minutes.
- Top each with a dollop of apple butter and a spoonful of cheese. Serve with tuyo flakes and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.