- 1 9x9 sheet puff pastry
- 4 cups langka, peeled and seeded
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
Make This Easy Four-Ingredient Langka Tart for Independence Day 2019June 12, 2019
As we celebrate Philippine Independence Day, we shift our focus to all things Filipino. And this year, we decided to shine the spotlight one of our most flavorful, versatile local fruits—the langka (jackfruit). It’s strong flavor demands that it be paired with something to mellow it out (that’s why it’s great in turon or ginataan), so we thought of adding it into a puff pastry and transforming it into a tart. This also makes it a good dessert (or merienda) that you could share with friends or family.
This recipe only needs four ingredients; and when you’re done assembling everything, you just have to stick in the oven. So you really don’t have an excuse not to make it (or mess it up). You can swap out the fruit component with something else if you decide to make it on a less patriotic day. But for today, let’s stick to langka.
- Serves: 6-8 people
- Active time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hr
- Difficulty: Easy
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Roll out puff pastry to 10×10, then fold inwards one inch each side to create a border.
- Take a fork and dock the puff pastry bottom.
- Layer langka in the center of the pastry, covering the bottom but leaving the borders blank.
- Brush heavy cream on the borders to help puff pastry brown when baking.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the fruit then place tart in oven for 30-45 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden and langka has softened.