- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ham or other leftovers, chopped
- ¼ cup cheese, grated
- ¼ cup green onions
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bread
- ½ cup butter, softened
Make an After-Christmas Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Your Holiday LeftoversDecember 29, 2019
You wake up today and wonder, “What day is it?” It doesn’t really matter. You just want to know how many days ’til you get to stuff your face all over again for the New Year. Well, it’s only the 29th, so you still have two and a half days to put up with Christmas’ leftovers. But it doesn’t have to be the same old things just reheated. Try this grilled cheese sandwich recipe with whatever’s in your fridge.
This recipe works with practically anything—lechon, ham, sausages, whatever. (What doesn’t go with cheese, really?!) But we recommend going with a salty meat. We used good ‘ol Eden cheese here. Though if you find some fancier options (maybe in one of the gift baskets you got), go ahead and use that or mix it in.
After-Christmas Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Serves: 4 people
- Active time: 30 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, ham or other leftovers, cheese, green onion, and mustard until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush slices of bread with melted butter, then flip over.
- Evenly divide the filling between 4 pieces of bread, spreading on the un-buttered side.
- Top each piece with another slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill on a hot pan on both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side, or use a panini press.
- Serve hot.