Lazy Paella: Breathing New Life into Your Weekly LeftoversMay 3, 2019
There’s nothing like kicking back on a lazy Sunday and spending the afternoon clearing your fridge of the week’s leftovers.
It’s a great habit to acquire, really. Those piles of food left in take-out containers and brown paper bags from your dinners out str the seeds of a great, no-frills dinner, our Lazy Paella. It’s a surefire way to rid your fridge and cupboard of leftovers without having to eat food that actually tastes like sad leftovers.
Some mandatory ingredients are required, though. You’ll need some rice, tomato sauce, some peas, spiced sausage, and hard-boiled eggs. Beyond those, this recipe’s pretty versatile because you have the freedom to add anything you please.
Got some leftover adobo? Shred the meat and dump it right in. Some excess bacon from monday’s pick-me-up breakfast? No worries, deep-fry them and sprinkle over your paella as a crunchy topping. You’re the boss here, your leftovers, your rules. It’s your own personal version of comfort food.
Total Time: 30-40 minutes; less if you use leftovers
Yield: 1-2 servings, estimated
- about 4 pcs shrimp, skin removed, de-veined (you can add in fish fillet, other shellfish, too)
- a few slices chorizo or spiced sausage (use chicken breast if you want)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- salt and pepper + chili flakes
- 1/2 can of peas
- 2 cups cooked rice
- string beans
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 boiled egg, sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 sachet tomato sauce
- Sauté onions and chorizo/spiced sausage until onions caramelize and the chorizo begins to curl.
- Add in the beans, bell pepper, shrimp. Wait for the shrimp to change color on all sides, then remove the shrimp from the pan.
- When the beans and bell pepper soften, add in the cooked rice and mix them all together in the pan.
- Add in the tomato sauce and mix. Season with salt and pepper and the chili flakes.
- Add in the shrimp, mix again until everything is incorporated well. Squeeze a few slices of lemon all over.
- Serve with the sliced egg on top.