These KIT KAT® Eyeballs Add a Spooky Touch to the Average TruffleOctober 15, 2014
Halloween is definitely the holiday for candy and chocolate– for both kids and adults. There’s something incredibly nostalgic about having loads of sugary sweet stuff during the occasion. Childhoods filled with trick-or-treating, playing dress up, then hiding all the loot from your parents while eating it in the dark of night. Being an adult doesn’t mean you have to skip out on the stuff; instead, you can have your own grown-up party and invite your friends for a wicked costume party. This means you get to have all the chocolate you want, without getting caught by your parents.
A party, no matter how ghoulish, still needs all the snacks and treats you can get. Instead of sticking to ordinary hors d’oeuvres, why not try making your own Halloween-inspired snacks? There’s a lot of tips and tricks to pull off the perfect Halloween party, but creating a dessert that looks exactly like eyeballs will spook your guests, and make them have a devilishly good time. Using KIT KAT, you can make extremely easy chocolate truffles, that don’t require baking. Just crush some of the chocolate covered wafers, mix them with even more chocolate, to create a chocolatey, crunchy truffle. Finish it with white chocolate and decorate to turn it into eyeballs using chocolate buttons and edible red ink pens. This eye-catching treat will have your guests asking for more.
KIT KAT® Eyeball Truffles
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 3 dozens, estimated
Ingredients: KIT KAT® Eyeball Truffles
- 2 cups of finely crushed KIT KAT® 4 Fingers
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup Nestlé All Purpose Cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cups white chocolate, melted (candy melts preferred)
- cocoa powder, for rolling truffles
- dark chocolate buttons
Procedure: KIT KAT® Eyeball Truffles
- Place dark chocolate in a bowl
- Heat the cream and butter until just boiling.
- Pour hot cream over dark chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap for 5 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir until smooth. Allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes.
- When cool, add in the crushed KIT KAT®. Stir to combine. Set in the refrigerator, about 3 hours.
- Shape truffles, small ice cream scoop or melon baller.
- Scoop the mixture into even-sized balls. Place on a sheet pan lined with wax paper.
- Grease your hands and roll each truffle between your palms until all truffles are round.
- Place a candy stick or popsicle stick into each truffle. Chill truffles in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Dredge truffles in cocoa powder, shake off excess.
- Dip each cocoa coated truffle into the melted white chocolate.
- Before the white chocolate sets, add a dark chocolate button to the front of the truffle. Allow them to cool.
- When the white chocolate is set, decorate the eyeball.
- Take a toothpick and dip it in the white chocolate, then place a dot on the dark chocolate button to resemble and eye. Use a red edible ink pen to draw veins around the eye.