This KIT KAT® Christmas Eggnog Makes for a Fine Adult Holiday MilkshakeDecember 5, 2019
Traditions to Filipinos are incredibly important, especially during Christmas. We all have our own personal memories and meanings of Christmas tradition. There’s bibingka, puto bumbong and tablea after Simbang Gabi. During Noche Buena, a lechon or roasted ham is usually rolled out on the family table, shared amongst brothers, sisters, distant cousins.
While eggnog isn’t traditionally part of a Filipino Christmas, I think it should start becoming part of our traditions. The thick, creamy drink is an adult version of a milkshake, with alcohol balancing out the sweetness of the components. Filled with egg yolks, sugar, milk and cream, it is a mix that is sure to recall the holiday seasons, especially with a dash of nutmeg, whose smell and spice makes one think of a pumpkin spice and a fireplace. Adding crushed KIT KAT® only enhances these homey flavors, with the undertones of chocolate bringing out the nutmeg. Mixing bourbon into the whole thing transports you somewhere else entirely, because the hint of liqueur warms your entire soul, perfect for a cold Christmas night.
KIT KAT® Christmas Eggnog
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed KIT KAT®
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until light in color and sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Place the milk, heavy cream, nutmeg, and crushed KIT KAT® into a saucepan.
- Stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Return the eggnog to the pot and continue to cook. Remove from the heat and stir in the bourbon.
- Strain the eggnog and allow it to cool.
- While the mixture is cooling, beat the egg whites and sugar to a stiff peak.
- Whisk this into the chilled eggnog mixture.
- Serve warm.