Kimchi Quinoa with Steak and EggJune 14, 2019
Steak and eggs is a definite classic, and seems to be on breakfast and brunch menus no matter what the cuisine. Pairing kimchi rice with steak and eggs is a more modern take on the staple, made famous here by Wildflour. It became such a hit, that no matter how many menu evolutions the guys behind their talented kitchen come up with, the steak and eggs with kimchi rice remain. Other iterations have popped up in places like Girl and the Bull, and Pi Breakfast and Pies, with the Asian twist bringing a whole new dimension to something familiar. The rice is flavored with the welcome acidic kick and heat of cabbage fermented for days, ideal for a simply seasoned, and perfectly-cooked cut of meat.
For this recipe, Pepper has decided to switch up this new, modern classic, and replace rice with another grain, the currently trendy quinoa. Seen by health buffs as the perfect alternative to much heavier (and apparently less healthy) rice, quinoa’s smaller grains allow for a texturally more interesting bite, while also letting the juices of the kimchi cling onto its exterior more than the rice would have. Mixing it all together, kimchi quinoa feels like a quick risotto, where you get both the snap of the grain, and a soft, sticky pile of quinoa.
Adding an egg elevates any equation, and a soft-boiled one topping this dish is the proverbial icing on the cake. Cutting into it coats your meat with a thick rich sauce that only yolks could provide. The quinoa in turn, is soaked in the yellow stuff, making it even more moist, and muting the sharpness of the kimchi without overpowering it. The best thing about this recipe is that it seems like a restaurant preparation, but is in fact, relatively simple for even the most basic of cooks. If you get the great ingredients right, you might just feel like you’re having the iconic Wildflour dish at home.
Kimchi Quinoa with Steak and Egg
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 pcs steak (we used wagyu during our shoot)
- salt and pepper, for the steak
- olive oil, for cooking the steak
- 2 poached eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced kimchi
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tsp store-bought kimchi base
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tbsp crushed nori, for garnish
- salt & pepper, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté kimchi for 1 minute.
- Add in gochujang, kimchi base and sugar.
- Add in cooked quinoa and toss very well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn off fire and toss in chopped spring onion. Set aside, keep warm.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Pan-fry the steak to medium rare. Allow steak to rest for 3-5 minutes and slice into strips.
- Divide quinoa into 2 serving plates. Top with sliced steak. Put poached egg on the side of steak. Top with crushed nori. Serve immediately.