I have always wanted to make my own ice cream. There was a time when I was obsessed with it, buying an ice cream maker, researching recipes online. As much as I love buying gallons of the cold stuff, or going up to a glass counter, ogling flavors like a kid, and receiving a toppling tower of it on a waffle cone, there’s this secret fantasy of dreaming up your ultimate combination. I had many wild ideas–pancakes and maple syrup, birthday cake cookie dough. But no matter how many recipes I researched, or how many times I attempted to use that ice cream maker, every scoop I churned out always turned into either liquid goop, or an icy mess.
Thank God for this recipe. The problem with homemade ice cream recipes is often the time it takes, usually having to freeze bowls overnight, but this one gives you a beautifully frozen scoop in under 3 hours. The painstaking processes are cut down, but the reward just the same. For this recipe, we thought of making a classic dark chocolate with just a kick of spice, which will warm you up during this post-holiday season. Using Nestlé All Purpose Cream is the trick here, creating thickness and volume without having to wait days to get that luscious scoop. Whisk all the necessary components until you have a sludge of thick dark chocolate, chill in a sealable plastic sandwich bag, and you’ve got the thing your 6-year-old self used to dream of.
Homemade Ice Cream
Total time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 packs Nestlé All Purpose Cream 250ml
- 2 pcs chopped chili pod
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne
- pinch of salt
- pinch ground star anise
- chocolate chips, optional
- 1 pc resealable plastic sandwich bag gallon size
- 1 pc resealable plastic sandwich bag 1/2 gallon size
- 4 cups ice
- 1/4 cup rock salt
- In a bowl, whisk together all ice cream ingredients until well combined.
- Transfer in smaller resealable plastic sandwich bag, make sure to remove all the air out. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Put the small resealable plastic sandwich bag with ice cream mixture inside the big Ziploc bag and put the ice all around the smaller bag.
- Sprinkle with the rock salt. Shake for 10-15 minutes or until ice cream hardens.
- Transfer to a container and keep in the freezer.
- To serve, scoop into ramekin bowls.