Rum-Soaked Bread PuddingJuly 7, 2018
Don’t let our pink and flowery details fool you. This concoction may be dressed head to toe in Stepford wife attire, but when she’ll punch you, you’re likely to see pastel-coloured flowers and aprons bursting right before you slump to the ground and black out. But this experience is, in the wise words of Mean Girls, “One time, she punched me in the face… it was awesome.”
This bowl’s bad-assery comes from Don Papa Rum, a rum so smooth, sweet, and goes so pleasantly warm down your throat and settles like a relaxing hot spring in your belly that you’ll swear off drinking the cheap stuff that resembles gasoline. When you take a sip of this thing, you won’t feel like an atom bomb has gone off in your stomach—which is usually the case when it comes to convenience store liquor brands.
Now, the man the rum was named after had a thing for doing things that weren’t normal. And just like him, instead of putting together an obvious cocktail, we put together this invention that’ll fill you up with both carbs and good spirits—literally.
Gooey, but filled with lumps of warm fluff to the eyes and touch, this tastes of memories of when you were a child, wondering about all the fuss behind the complicated relationship of adults and alcohol. Rather, it tastes of something you shouldn’t have yet, but are dangerously curious about. Or… ok, to put it simply, this tastes of the Winged Unicorns from My Little Ponies.
If not, this is sure to be another regular comfort food you’ll be glad to whip up come nights worthy of snuggling and movies at home. Dangerously curious, yet? Good. The grocery calls.
Microwaveable Rum-Soaked Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Syrup
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients for the Bread Pudding
- 2 cup stale bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Don Papa rum
Ingredients for the Rum Sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 yolks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp rum
Procedure for the Rum Sauce
- In a sauce pan, whisk together cornstarch, sugar and milk.
- Put on heat and continuously whisk the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, put eggyolks and whisk until it fluffs.
- When milk mixture is about to boil, gently pour it into the whisked egg yolk while continuously whisking.
- When yolk and milk has been blended well, return everything to the sauce pan on low heat and mix with a wooden spoon until thick.
- Be careful not to overcook. (when overcooked, the mixture will be lumpy and taste like scrambled e
Procedure for the Bread Pudding
- Whisk together egg, milk, sugar and rum.
- Stir in bread, sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to 2 medium bowls.
- Microwave for 1 minute and check.
- If its still runny, microwave again using 20 sec bursts.