When Haitai-Calbee Confectionery Co. released honey-butter flavored crisps in South Korea, its virality was astounding. An app was launched just to alert people of fresh stock at nearby convenience stores, some shops had waiting lists for new haul, and prices for bags of chips inflated online (presently, you can purchase three bags of Honey Butter Chip at $20 on eBay). The flavor epidemic spread outside the realm of just potato chips, with McDonald’s even getting hit through honey-butter Shake Shake Fries. In our case, we’ve taken to the kitchen to create fried chicken wings covered in a honey-butter glaze. For a complete chicken meal, pair it with some kimchi rice.
Honey-Butter Chicken Wings
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes (10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking)
- 1 kg chicken wings, cut at the joint
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
Ingredients: Honey-Butter Sauce
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 cloves garlic, minced roughly
Procedure: Honey-Butter Sauce
- Over low heat, melt the butter and add the garlic. Sauté the garlic until it browns. Strain and save the butter.
- Add the honey to the garlic butter and mix well. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and drain thoroughly. Spread the cornstarch on a wide dish and dredge the wings. Shake off any excess starch and set aside on a tray.
- Prepare a high and heavy-bottomed pan and fill it with about 2 inches of oil. Heat to 165°C and add the wings. Do not overcrowd, do it in batches if necessary. Cook the wings for 6-7 minutes and remove from the oil. At this point, the wings will look pale but should be cooked.
- Increase the temperature of the oil to 180°C. Put the chicken wings back and cook them for 3-4 minutes more, or until they are golden and crisp. Cool the chicken for at least 3 minutes on a rack. The cooling process prevents the chicken from getting soggy when mixed with the sauce.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken and drizzle over the honey-butter sauce. Toss with the sesame seeds and scallions. Serve immediately.