The Homer Simpson D’oh-nut Recipe: All That’s Missing is the DuffSeptember 21, 2019
Were you one of those weird kids who got hungry because they saw cartoons eat? I was. I’d get jealous at Winnie the Pooh whenever he’d dig his hand into his darling Hunny pot, and for a split second, even the worms and centipedes Timon and Pumbaa devoured looked appetizing (he comes with a very pleasant crunch!). And then there was Homer Simpson. Sluggish, beer-drinking Homer Simpson with Duff beer in one hand and his signature pink donut with candy sprinkles in the other. This was the exact reason why I’d always choose that strawberry donut with candy sprinkles from Dunkin’ Donuts every single time.
Today on Pepper, we’ve recreated the iconic donut for all you Homer Simpson fans—or maybe if you just want a damn good donut. It’s got hints of nutmeg and vanilla then frosted with a bright pink glaze and sprinkled with rainbow-colored sugar confetti. Best enjoyed with coffee. Or beer (they actually pair well together). You decide. D’oh.
The Homer Simpson D’oh-nut
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 10-12 donuts, estimated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 10 teaspoons milk
- red or pink food coloring
- rainbow sprinkles, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine butter, oil, and sugars until light and creamy.
- Add in the eggs and incorporate.
- Add in baking powder and soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla until combined.
- Add the flour and the milk alternately. Mix until batter is smooth.
- Place batter into piping bag and pipe into a greased donut baking pan. (Two circle metal cookie cutters can be used instead also.)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes until ready.
- Remove donuts and set aside to cool.
- To make the glaze, add the milk into the powdered sugar by 2 teaspoons.
- Add more or less until you reach a desired consistency.
- Icing should be wet enough to drip slightly but not too liquid that it runs off and the donut shows through underneath.
- Add a touch of food coloring until pink.
- Garnish donuts with sprinkles.
- Serve, d’oh LOL.