- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
Today’s the Day to Stop Buying Frozen Tortillas; Make Them at Home Yourself, InsteadMay 7, 2020
Sure, flour tortillas are easily found in the supermarket. And while we have zero qualms with this (in fact, we use them in a bunch of our recipes), nothing beats freshly made ones. So while we’ve got a bunch of time in our hands nowadays, we thought “Hey, we can just make some ourselves.” And today, we’re sharing our easy, fool-proof recipe with you guys.
All you have to do is mix, flatten, then cook—well, kind of. Truthfully, it’s a bit more work than that. But don’t worry, this recipe is very forgiving. Plus, it makes for a great project to do with kids at home.
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Serves: 4-8 people
- Active time: 1 hr
- Total time: 1 hr + overnight
- Difficulty: Easy
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix until a rough dough forms, then turn out onto the counter.
- Knead into a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Take each piece and shape into smooth balls and place seam side down on an oiled baking sheet.
- Cover tightly in plastic wrap the leave in the fridge overnight, up to 5 days.
- The next day, remove the tortillas from the fridge.
- Working one piece at a time, flatten each piece into a 3-4 inch circle, using a tortilla press or a rolling pin.
- Continue until all pieces have been rolled out.
- To cook the tortillas, place them one by one on a nonstick pan over high heat.
- Cook on the first side until the tortilla begins to brown and puff up, turning hollow in the center.
- Flip the tortillas and cook the other side until brown spots start to form.
- Remove tortilla from heat and keep warm underneath a clean towel.
- Repeat process until all tortillas are cooked.
- Serve warm.