Black Pepper Spam Kebab with Pineapple Garlic CreamJuly 16, 2018
- Mikka WeeWords
As Filipinos, we love to make tusok-tusok our food, just like these assorted shabu-shabu beauties that we dipped in satay sauce.
In this recipe, we leveled up the tusok-tusok experience with some Black Pepper Spam and some rainbow-colored bell peppers (just kidding, they’re only three) to dip in some pineapple garlic cream that’s spiced with a dash of cumin.
If you’ve been to Hawaii, this dish can bring you back to the luau scenery—complete with coconut trees and hula dancers. If you haven’t, that’s okay. You can just Google it or watch Lilo and Stitch on Disney. Spam is also known to be a superstar in Hawaii, throw in the pineapple and soon enough, you’ll hear whispers of Aloha resonating in your head.
Normal Spam will probably just do, but of course, the full peppery blast of the bell peppers coupled with the cumin will only be exponentially heightened if you use Black Pepper Spam. But hold your horses! The spice will eventually cooled down by the pineapple garlic dip. This play of polar flavors will definitely get you addicted to this skewered masterpiece. Enjoy!
Black Pepper Spam Kebab with Pineapple Garlic Cream
Total Time: 30 minutes / Yield: 3-4 skewers
Ingredients for the Spam Kebabs
- 1 can sliced pineapples
- 1 can of Black Pepper Spam
- 1 pc green bell pepper
- 1 pc red bell pepper
- 1 pc yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- Extra olive oil for frying/grilling
Ingredients for the Pineapple Garlic Cream
- 1 tetra pack all-purpose cream
- 2 round slices of pineapple
- 16 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
Procedure for the Spam Kebabs
- Cut Spam into 1 inch cubes.
- Place Spam cubes, cumin and olive oil into a mixing bowl. Mix by hand.
- Slice bell peppers and pineapple into roughly 1 inch squares.
- Skewer in bell peppers, ham cubes, and pineapple.
- Repeat step 4 for the remaining ingredients.
- Place grilling pan on medium heat.
- Oil the pan and fry Spam kebabs on all sides until brown.
- Serve with Pineapple Garlic Cream sauce.
Procedure for the Pineapple Garlic Cream
- Saute garlic until golden brown using the same oil that was used to fry the skewers.
- Place sautéed garlic and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Season to taste. (Feel free to add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter sauce.)