TV Thanksgiving Dinner: The One with Rachel’s TrifleNovember 24, 2015
Thanksgiving seems to be the only thing people talk about in November. Turkeys, Black Friday, that parade on live tv, screaming relatives, buckets of booze—but it’s a holiday that is relatively unknown to this side of the world aside from what goes on in the TV realm this time of year. The idea of it is immensely appealing, really, and doesn’t sound that much different from how Filipinos spend the holidays: surrounded by too much food and too much family (distant relatives included). So we’ve decided to put together Thanksgiving dinner, the way television specials have told us how to.
During its run, Friends loved their themed episodes, from Halloween parties with Joey dressed as Chandler, to Christmases with holiday armadillos. But it was it was the Thanksgiving specials that provided some of the best and most hilarious writing in its 10 seasons; from Brad Pitt’s visit, to Monica inadvertently chopping Chandler’s toe off. For today’s recipe, here’s Rachel’s infamous meat trifle with candied ham instead of ground beef. Maybe this time around, the gang will have a serious crack at it.
Rachel’s Meat Trifle
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Whisk together egg yolks, half the sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Place milk and other half of the sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat the sugar and milk until just bubbling.
- Pour hot milk into the egg yolk mixture while stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and his continuously until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Set aside and the refrigerate to cool down completely, about 1 hour.
Ingredients: Candied Ham
- 12 slices ham, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Procedure: Candied Ham
- Fry ham in a saucepan until brown.
- Sprinkle in the brown sugar and allow to melt in the pan.
- Stir the sugar and ham and cook until dark and sticky.
- Remove from pan and set aside to harden.
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 18 ladyfingers
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 recipe custard
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipped cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1 recipe candied ham
- Stir together the corn syrup and water.
- Dip the ladyfingers one at a time in the syrup mixture and layer half into the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Top with half the jam and spread evenly.
- Top with half of the custard and spread evenly.
- Add in the strawberries in an even layer.
- Top with all of the sliced bananas.
- Repeat layers of ladyfingers, then jam, then custard.
- Top with all of the whipped cream and smooth out the top.
- Sprinkle ham over the trifle and serve.