Cheat Your Way into Making an Easy Spicy Tantanmen with Instant Kare-Kare MixOctober 27, 2019
The tantanmen, or dandan noodles, is a specialty noodle dish of China and Japan recognized for its red soup, which is known for its incredibly spicy broth. It’s become the unofficial favorite of many in ramen houses in the Philippines, with some variations playing down the heat with the use of peanut sauce.
This more well-known version shares so many similarities with kare-kare, as both are thick, rich, and incredibly nutty. We’ve made a recipe which bridges the best of both into one dish. Ox tripe and ox tail are boiled for the broth, then mixed with Del Monte’s very versatile Quick n Easy Kare-Kare Mix, and finally topped onto the dish before serving. You can recreate the complex flavors of both kare-kare and tantanmen in your own kitchen, because the Del Monte Quick n Easy Kare-Kare mix has the nuttiness we’ve come to love from both Filipino and Japanese dishes. Ramen broths are notoriously known for taking days, even weeks to create but with this packet, you can get your fusion dish packed with flavor in less than half a day.
More than just bragging rights for being able to pull this gorgeous dish off, you’ll be able to relax in the comfort of your own home while waiting for the broth to boil. It beats standing for hours in line at a latest trendy ramen joint.
Spicy Tantanmen with Kare-Kare Soup
Total Time: 20 Minutes + 6 hours |
Yield: 4 servings, estimated
Ingredients: Ox Tail / Ox Tripe Topping
- 200g ox tripe
- 500g ox tail
Procedure: Ox Tail / Ox Tripe Topping
- Put ox tail and ox tripe in pot, fill with water until meats are submerged.
- Boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain out water and change with new water.
- Boil for 1-2 hours or until tender. Once tender, strain out meats and cool.
- Reserve cooking liquid for the soup.
- When meats are cool, remove bones. Slice into strips. Set aside until ready to use.
- TIP: You can substitute the ox tail and ox tripe with sautéed ground beef, use beef stock as substitute for the boiling liquid.
Ingredients: Spicy Tantanmen with Kare-Kare Soup
- 1 pack Del Monte Quick n Easy Kare-Kare Mix
- 6 cups soup stock (boiling liquid from ox tail and ox tripe)
- 1 pc bouillon
- 1 tbsp sesame paste
- 1 tbsp chili bean paste
- 4 servings ramen noodles
- 4 stems taiwan pechay, blanched
- boiled ox tail strips
- boiled ox tripe strips
- chopped spring onions, for garnish
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- chili achuete oil, drizzle on top
- sesame oil, drizzle on top
Procedure: Spicy Tantanmen with Kare-kare Soup
- In a pot, mix together all ingredients. Whisk well.
- Turn on heat and continuously whisk so that the Kare Kare powder mix will not form into clumps.
- Once boiling, turn heat to lowest. Keep soup warm.
- Cook ramen noodles as directed by manufacturer.
- Once cooked, place in 4 individual bowls. Divide the soup into 4 bowls.
- Top with ox tail and ox tripe strips. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Drizzle with chili achuete oil and sesame oil around the bowl. Serve immediately.