This Creamy Pesto Eggplant Lasagna is an Indulgent Way to Enjoy Your VeggiesNovember 24, 2019
The joy of lasagna is in its layers. For cooks, there’s an oft-described sense of peace in the process of stacking ingredients in between the sheets of pasta. For diners, it’s getting their slice of lasagna and marveling at how neatly it all comes together before going for the bite. With this recipe, the team zeroed in on that experience to present this new twist to lasagna. It’s lasagna without pasta, but don’t stop reading just yet. The lasagna layers were made with the humble but versatile eggplant and covered by blankets of rich pesto cream, made even more luscious with Nestlé All Purpose Cream, and chicken.
This is a plate of sophisticated dining without breaking your bank, enjoyed in the comfort of your own home. Although Italian grandmothers are infamous to sticking to their tried and true recipes, they might enjoy this slightly modern touch to their traditional lasagna. Enjoy the meal and slather each piece of lasagna with as much of the sauce as you can.
Creamy Pesto Eggplant Lasagna
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients: Eggplant Lasagna
- 4 pcs big eggplant with skin, sliced and grilled
- extra mozzarella, grated
- sliced pimiento, for topping
Ingredients: Chicken Pesto Cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup roast chicken, shredded
- 4 packs NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream 250ml
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2-3/4 cup pesto
- 2 tbsp basil, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
Procedure: Creamy Pesto Eggplant Lasagna
- Prepare the pesto cream by melting butter in pan, cooking onions for 2 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook for 30 seconds. Add in NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream and white wine. Wait for it to boil.
- Add chicken, pesto, basil and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, or until thick. Set aside.
- Prepare eggplant: Brush eggplant with olive oil. Grill for 2-3 minutes on both sides. Repeat for the rest of the eggplants.
- Assembly: Layer eggplant in a casserole, top with pesto cream. Repeat two more times until you get 3 levels.
- Top with grated mozzarella cheese and sliced pimiento. Bake on the middle rack of 350° Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve immediately.