Cornbread Waffles and Beer-Battered Fried Chicken Because Why Not?!March 22, 2020
Ah, chicken and waffles. Who knows what kind of weird craving inspired this strangely essential pairing. You can only imagine my sheer delight in discovering that my favorite fried food and my favorite dessert-adjacent breakfast food was being served on the same plate at every other breakfast place in town.
This version tries to bring us all the way back home to the South with cornbread waffles and beer-battered fried chicken. You can feel some of the tiny grains of cornmeal in this savory waffle, accompanied by an unexpected but welcome kick of pepper. The chicken, a dark gold color from frying in beer batter, is crisp and light and tastes like it was made for you by a nice old lady in a clean gingham gown and could she please serve it to you with a glass of pink lemonade? If you want the home-cooked comfort and grit of the South, then look no further. This waffle-chicken combo is as South as South can be.
Cornbread Waffles and Beer-Battered Chicken
Total Time: 2 hours (1 hour to refrigerate batter, 1 hour cooking)
Yield: 2-3 servings, estimated
Ingredients: Cornbread Waffles
- 340g all purpose flour, sifted
- 340g fine cornmeal (we got ours at Healthy Options)
- 60g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 75 g melted butter
Ingredients: Beer-Battered Chicken
- 500g chicken strips
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 250 ml Hoegaarden beer
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
Procedure: Cornbread Waffles
- Combine all the dry ingredient and in a separate bowl, combine the milk and eggs.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Add melted butter and fold into the mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cook in a waffle maker (please remember to read how to use it!).
- Serve hot.
Procedure: Beer-Battered Chicken
- Heat up a pan with oil (up to about half of its surface) to 350-365F.
- Pat chicken strips and dry using a paper towel.
- Separate 1 cup of flour. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- To make the batter, use the remaining flour and combine with beer and egg.
- Get the chicken strips, coat with flour, and then coat with the beer batter.
- Fry the chicken strips for about 3-5 minutes until golden.
- Serve hot alongside the waffles.