Cook This: Three Kinds of Mushroom Sandwich for a Mushroomburger UpgradeJanuary 13, 2017
It’s not even halfway through January and we have barely made a dent in our post-holiday diet. Maybe it’s because we just finished our holiday leftovers (there’s a 2-week rule on that, right?). Maybe it’s because we wanted to embrace getting fat this January. All we can say is, our bodies can only take so much. So we decided to ease (emphasis on ease) into healthier living with this mushroom-filled, vegetarian sandwich.
Anyone who has ever tried to go vegetarian for even a day knows that mushrooms are the gateway ingredient: delicious, a substantial and biteable texture that is almost-kinda-not-really comparable to meat, and just so versatile. Inspired by Mushroomburger‘s mushroom sandwich (that’s right: sandwich, not burger! Though it does use buns, it has that distinction on the menu since it does not contain a burger patty.), this recipe takes it up a notch.
Using three kinds of mushrooms to add varying textures and flavors, this recipe is ideal for a filling weekend lunch at home. We warm the shimeji to bring out a smoky flavor, and deep-fry the oyster mushrooms tempura-style to resemble mushroom fries and add crunch. Accent it with a pink sauce that is also inspired by the fast food’s original, and sandwich it between burger buns, and you’re ready for your first picnic of the year.
Three Kinds of Mushroom Sandwich
YIELD: 3 sandwiches
TIME: 45 minutes
Ingredients: Garlic Pink Sauce
- 2 pcs garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ cup banana ketchup
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
INGREDIENTS: Mushroom Filling
- canola oil, as needed
- salt, to taste
- 75g shiitake mushrooms, sliced ½ cm thick
- ½ punnet shimeji mushrooms, pulled apart
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 120g oyster mushrooms, pulled apart
- cornstarch, as needed
INGREDIENTS: TO FINISH
- 3 pcs burger buns
- 3 pcs sliced cheese
- Mix together all sauce ingredients. Place in a container and put in fridge for later use.
- Fill a small pot halfway with oil, and put on the heat. We will use this pan to deep-fry the oyster mushrooms
- Heat another pan till very hot. Add oil and wait till it starts to smoke. Add shiitakes, season, and cook ’til golden brown. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan as this will bring down the heat and cause the mushrooms to go soggy.
- When shiitake is cooked, repeat the same step with shimejis. Place cooked shimejis and shiitakes in a bowl and toss with parsley. Keep warm.
- When deep-frying oil is hot, coat the oysters in cornstarch and deep-fry ’til crispy. Remove from oil and toss in a bowl with some salt.
- To assemble the sandwich, slice the buns in half horizontally (unless they are pre-sliced) and spread pink sauce on the insides both the top and bottom bun.
- Place sliced cheese on bottom half of bun. Top with warmed mushrooms and fried oyster mushrooms. Cover sandwich, and serve with chips or fries.