You need something yummy for your annual holiday get together, but you’re also tired of the traditional pies, fruitcakes, and green jello everybody brings, what do you do? That’s easy, you make this delicious Cinnamon Apple Trifle.
You can easily substitute store bought granola or boxed cereal for the homemade granola crumble layer if you want to cut down the time it takes to make this. Presentation is easy as well if you’re planning to serve this at a dinner party. No need to stress, it’s pretty in anything transparent.
Bonus tip, if you end up with any leftover apple sauce, reheat it with an added shot of bourbon and pour it over some ice cream for a nice tipsy sundae.
Cinnamon Apple Trifle
Total Time: 60 minutes | Yield: 4-6 servings
Ingredients for the Applesauce
- 8 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
- 1/3 cup of salted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the Homemade Granola Crumble
- 1 cup all-purpose Gold Medal Flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 pack of vanilla pudding
- Graham crackers
- Ground cinnamon, for granish
- Make the vanilla pudding according to the package instructions.
- Preheat the oven at 160° celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Heat up a saucepan and melt the butter. Put all the apple sauce ingredients in and stir until the apples soften and the mixture thickens.
- Using another mixing bowl, combine all the granola crumble ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour the granola mixture on a baking sheet and stick it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the texture is crumbly.
- Break apart your graham crackers, use it decorate the sides of your trifle.
- In each individual glass or dessert cup, start layering your trifle in this order: pudding, apple sauce, graham, crumble. Refrigerate once you’re finished.
- When it’s time to serve, top the trifle with some whipped cream. Garnish with the graham crackers and some ground cinnamon.
- Serve chilled. Enjoy!