Food Hack: Choco Butternut MunchkinsMay 2, 2020
Here’s the deal: we hacked into your childhood. As much as days past were fueled by fast food apple pies and supermarket-bought juice packets, it’s boxes of Munchkins that elevated the sugar high. If you were up for something light and airy, the snowy bavarian or strawberry jam-filled ones were top choice, while chocolate heads went for the Chocolate Honey-Dipped balls.
Then, of course, there was the constantly in-demand line of orange powder-coated bonbons that always seemed to jump out in an otherwise neutral display of pastries. So, in this latest food hack, we’ve decided to turn to doughnut emporium, Dunkin’ Donuts. That’s right, we ripped off the diabolical Choco Butternut Munchkin which has created many a doughnut junkie.
Dunkin’ Donuts Choco Butternut Food Hack
Total Time: 45 minutes | Yield: 24 donut holes/munchkins
Ingredients: Chocolate Doughnuts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Procedure: Chocolate Doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, egg, heavy cream, milk, and oil.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into a cake pop mold. Fill each half-sphere to the top.
- Once filled, cover and close the mold.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool
Ingredients: Chocolate Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- 1 drop blue food coloring
Procedure: Chocolate Glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Glaze should have a thick consistency. (The food coloring is optional, but helps achieve the dark, almost black color of the donuts)
Ingredients: Butternut Topping
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (preferably finer)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 drops bright orange food coloring
Procedure: Butternut Topping
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Work the mixture until well combined and al of the coconut is colored.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet or flat surface and dry for 20 minutes before using.
- Take the cooled doughnuts and dip into the glaze.
- Fully coat the doughnuts and remove them using a fork, allowing the excess glaze to drip off.
- Place the glazed doughnuts into the coconut topping and roll until fully coated.