Bounty Fresh Chicken Skin BLT SandwichAugust 6, 2019
The classic BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato) is a sandwich that has always been a safe and familiar choice for most of us. What we love about it is that it also leaves plenty of room for imagination. Being one of the easiest sandwiches to prepare, the space in between those two slices of bread presents a plethora of opportunities to jazz it up or dress it down, depending on your mood.
Today on Pepper, we’ve done our own ridiculously indulgent take on the BLT by replacing the bacon with deep-fried leftover chicken skin from some Bounty Fresh chicken (which we used the other day to whip up a healthy chicken salad). We all need an unhealthy contrast sometimes, right? Nothing beats the satisfying crunch and fatty taste of chicken skin every once in a while.
Also, to spice things up, we made a chipotle barbecue sauce to go with the sandwich, adding a bit of heat and smokiness to the whole thing.
Bounty Fresh CLT
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12 slices local tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce, shredded
- fried chicken skin (recipe below)
- chipotle barbecue sauce (recipe below)
- Spread butter on one side of all the bread slices.
- Toast butter side down on pan, do this for all the bread slices.
- To assemble, put the toasted side of bread facing down.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, then with shredded lettuce
- Drizzle with chipotle barbecue mayo and top with fried chicken skin.
- Finish by topping with the other slice of toasted bread.
- Repeat for the rest of the bread slices.
- Serve immediately.
Ingredients: Fried Chicken Skin
- 2 cups chicken skin (we used chicken skin from Bounty Fresh chicken thighs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- oil, for deep-frying
Procedure: Fried Chicken Skin
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- While waiting for the oil, rinse chicken skin and pat dry.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and chicken powder.
- Coat very well each chicken skin with flour mixture.
- Deep fry in preheated oil for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.
- Drain with kitchen towel and set aside.
Ingredients: Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce/marinade (store-bought)
- 1 tsp paprike
- 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce, minced finely
Procedure: Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Set aside in the chiller until ready to use.