This Chicken Provençale with Linguine Will Be The Star at Your Holiday PotluckDecember 13, 2016
In a country where yuletide preparations start as early as September, the holiday season is a major event for us Filipinos and our families. It’s that time to relax, unwind, and be rewarded with your well-deserved break after a year of chasing deadlines and being drowned in work. With all the reunions and Christmas parties you’ve marked on your calendar, preparing your signature Christmas dish need not be a daunting task that’ll bring back all the stress you wanted to avoid this season.
Christmas is an opportunity to flex your cooking muscles, and give yourself a new reputation. Wow your companions with a Mediterranean dish that turns you instantly into Nigella Lawson, queen of indulgent but easy cooking, with the help of just a few quality ingredients. The word Provençale might sound like a mouthful, but this slow-braised plate is both approachable and impressive, and will win the hearts of your family or your officemates.
The best, bright flavors of the French coast are represented here, using Contadina’s Stewed Tomatoes, which have a generous helping of herbs that lift the product’s recipe above standard cans and bottles. With your chicken browned and deglazed with wine, simmering it in nothing else but the tomatoes (and maybe a little sugar) leaves all their rich, slightly acidic sweetness to be the predominant profile. While this method can often take hours to achieve results, the stewed tomatoes provide so much flavor, that just an hour of finishing up your last work emails will suffice. Finish with a knob of Contadina’s standout fresh, green, nutty and full-bodied pesto and just a few olives, and you’ll transport people to Provence.
On top of al dente linguine, dressed in nothing but pure olive oil, this potluck pleaser will be the dish everyone will want to have on your office or family Christmas feast every year.
Poulet Provençale with Linguine
Yield: 3-4 servings
Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 2 pcs chicken thigh quarter
- 50 ml Contadina Pure Olive Oil
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ pc onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 120 ml white wine
- 1 can (411g) Contadina Stewed Tomatoes with Italian herbs
- salt, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 2 tbsp Contadina Pesto alla Genovese
- ¼ cup olives, black pitted and halved lengthwise
- Half chicken quarters into drumsticks and thighs.
- Place flour in a tray and coat the chicken with it.
- Heat up the olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- Pat off excess flour from chicken and fry in the oil over medium heat. When one side of the chicken is golden brown flip the chicken so the uncooked side can turn golden brown as well.
- Once chicken has the desired color, bring down the flame, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and the garlic to the pan and cook till translucent.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
- Pour in the Contadina Stewed Tomatoes with Italian herbs, stir well and season with salt and adjust the acidity to your liking with the sugar.
- Return the browned chicken into the pot. Bring the liquid up to a simmer, cover the pot and let braise for 1 hour.
- Once chicken is cooked through and tender, toss in the olives and finish with the Contadina pesto.
- Serve the chicken with al dente Contadina Linguine tossed in Contadina Extra Virgin Olive Oil.