Cook Now: Chicken Kofta Dynamite Roll with Yoghurt DipDecember 19, 2016
A few years ago, I made the mistake many have done before me: I bit into a pepper. The errant pepper hid in a pile of kangkong I was digging through one night. While I scrambled to find relief for what felt like my tongue burning, I swore off peppers forever. (The irony of working with Pepper.ph does not evade me.) I however, couldn’t avoid the heat for so long; they eventually caught up with me in the form of Filipino pulutan favorite, dynamite rolls.
In the past few years, dynamite rolls have dominated potluck parties. The rolls are filled with peppers stuffed with either ground meat or cheese. An easy addition to the usual party spread, these rolls are a step up from the fried lumpia we’re used to.
Our dynamite roll takes things even further as we add cumin and paprika for earthiness and more spice, mimicking intense South Indian and Middle Eastern flavors.
If you can’t handle the heat, our yoghurt sauce cools the palate without overpowering the roll itself. The cucumber lends a freshness to the sauce and helps extinguish the rolls’ heat.
To prepare these rolls, make sure to wrap them tightly. Sealing the rolls well ensures that the ground chicken stays put and doesn’t seep out. Keep the filling from coming into contact with the oil since it will make the oil splatter. We like to keep the chili’s stem exposed, but you can cut these off to easily wrap the pepper and to secure the filling.
I didn’t enjoy my first brush with peppers, but I’ve met my match—now I can’t stop biting into these rolls and you won’t be able too.
Chicken Kofta Dynamite Roll with Yoghurt Dip
Yield: 10 pieces
Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: Dynamite Roll
- 2 tbsp oil
- 250g onion, julienned
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 250g ground chicken
- ½ cup water
- salt, to taste
- 80g bread crumbs
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 10 pcs green chili (siling pangsigang)
- 10 pcs spring roll wrapper
- vegetable oil, for frying
Ingredients: Yoghurt dip
- ½ pc cucumber
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 pc garlic, finely minced
- salt and sugar, to taste
Procedure: Dynamite Roll
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions.
- Sauté onions over medium heat until brown and caramalized. The onions will reduce in size.
- Add the ginger and garlic, stir through the caramelized onions and cook a little.
- Add paprika and cumin followed by the ground chicken.
- Mix the chicken through the onion mixture to avoid clumping. Add water and season to taste.
- Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs and cilantro. Mix well and adjust seasoning.
- Take the chilies and cut one side lengthwise, ensuring that the knife doesn’t go through the other side.
- Remove seeds and stuff with meat mixture.
- In a pot, heat vegetable oil for frying.
- Wrap in the spring roll wrapper and fry in the heated oil.
- Serve with yoghurt sauce.
Procedure: Yoghurt Dip
- Peel cucumber and deseed.
- Grate and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Throw out liquid and keep the grated pulp.
- In a small bowl, mix the grated cucumber with all the ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.