Combine Cheeseburgers and Tacos With This Crispy Cheddar ShellOctober 15, 2015
Cheeseburgers and tacos are my favorite food group. For some reason, every time I’m awake at midnight, I only crave these two things (aside from pizza, of course). Since making fattening, drunk-people food seems to be my specialty, a cheeseburger taco hybrid was the only rational recipe to conjure up next.
Turning on tradition, we used cheddar cheese to create this super crispy and extra tasty taco shell. We spiced the ground beef with hamburger seasoning, and topped it off with every burger joints “secret sauce”, aka mayonnaise and ketchup mixed together. Paired with caramelized onions, this cheeseburger taco becomes an ode to the super popular animal-style fries and burgers at In-N-Out. Topped off with some tomatoes to trick your brain into thinking you’re eating something healthy (it is low-carb!) and extra cheese, this cheeseburger taco hybrid is the best thing you could eat today.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6-8 servings (12 tacos)
Ingredients: Taco Shell
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Procedure: Taco shell
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese into the pan.
- Let the cheese melt, and shape the melting cheese into a circle with a spatula.
- Leave the cheese to cook until the edges begin to brown and the oil separates from the cheese.
- Slowly release the cheese with a spatula and pour the oil out into a container.
- Take the cheese and put onto a paper plate.
- Fold the plate n half and stabilize in between two heavy bottles.
- Let the cheese set and harden into the shape of a taco shell.
- Repeat until all the cheese has been cooked, making 12 taco shells.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Combine the mayonnaise and ketchup in a bowl.
- Set aside.
Ingredients: Taco Fillings
- 1.5 kg ground beef
- 2 tbsps hamburger seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 white onions, sliced into rounds
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Procedure: Taco Fillings
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan or pot.
- Season with the hamburger seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate pan, caramelize the white onions.
- Serve the beef, onion, tomatoes, and shredded cheese in separate containers alongside the taco shells and sauce.