Beer-Battered Bounty Fresh Chicken and Chips with Sriracha Tartar: Who Said We Can Only Do It to Fish?August 24, 2014
Fish and Chips is a pub classic and a personal favorite, eaten one too many times both here and abroad. Mastering this can be very tricky as its crispy outer shell is unlike that of fried chicken or tempura; the batter has to be slightly aerated, so that the coating is earth-shatteringly crisp.
When you’ve got the perfect crunchy battered fish, it’s often accompanied by delicious thick-cut chips, and never thin fries. This turns it into pub grub, into manly, robust food.
If you’re looking for the same exterior, but aren’t fond of seafood, don’t worry; you can use our batter with Bounty Fresh chicken tenders. This part of the chicken is conducive to deep frying, and won’t dry up when introduced to high heat.
Using beer in the batter produces lots of air bubbles that will make this lighter than other recipes, creating the texture fish and chips has become known for. You can douse everything in vinegar like the traditional way, or use our recipe for sriracha tartar, which has both spice and creaminess perfect enough to punctuate your fatty, deep-fried bite.
Bounty Fresh Chicken and Chips with Sriracha Tartar
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients: Chicken and Chips
- 500g Bounty Fresh chicken tenders, cleaned and patted dry
- batter (recipe below)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground pepper
- flour, for dredging
- oil, for frying
- sriracha tartar (recipe below)
- fresh pototes, cut into sticks
Procedure: Chicken and Chips
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Deep-fry fresh potato sticks in 300 degree F oil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil and cool down for 5 minutes in the freezer.
- Heat oil to high temperature, about 380 degrees F or higher. Flash fry the potatoes straight from the freezer, for about 40-60 seconds just until light golden brown and crispy.
- Drain in paper towels, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Dredge seasoned chicken tenders in flour, dip in batter and deep fry in preheated 350 degree F oil for 3-4 minutes, depending on size of chicken, or until cooked.
- Drain oil using paper towels.
- Serve with fries and Sriracha Tartar.
- 2 cups beer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in beer, as if in a shaking motion to produce bubbles.
- Whisk until combined, but no need for it to be smooth.
- Make sure not to over whisk your batter.
- Set aside in the chiller until ready to use.
Ingredients: Sriracha Tartar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2-3 tbsp pickle relish
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
Procedure: Sriracha Tartar
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated and sugar has dissolved.
- Set aside until ready to use.