Bottoms Up on Beauty Drinks: A Collaboration with L’OfficielNovember 5, 2015
It’s incredible how much we’re willing to spend on beauty. Surgery aside, we constantly seek out that elusive fountain of youth through every possible cream, serum, and moisturizer out there. By some miracle, a number of them actually work.
But the saying might just be true — beauty isn’t skin deep. When you’re jonesing for a more intense fix, it might just be time to drink up.
Pharmacies and beauty stores these days are beginning to stock up on more drinkable beauty concoctions, promising remedies to beauty issues such as dull skin and wrinkles.
Because hyaluronic acid and collegen shots sound less like a fun tipple and more like a science experiment, we, together with our friends at L’officiel, came up with three beauty drinks that’ll be much more fun to chug down. Best part is, all these ingredients can be found in your local supermarket. With iced tea rich in antioxidants and a smoothie that’ll help you with your eyesight, who knew that the fountain of youth is just a gulp away?
The Fountain of Youth
The biggest irony of living: the most harmful thing your skin experiences is oxidation. This iced tea brings the antioxidants by the handful, giving you benefits such as reducing inflammation, firming skin, reducing wrinkles, treating scars, and repairing sun damage. Put it all together, and you’ve got a recipe for anti-aging.
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tbsp loose black tea leaves
- 1/4 cup ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mint
- Steep the tea in 4 cups hot water for 15 minutes.
- Strain out the leaves and add 3 cups cold water and 2 cups ice.
- Stir until cold and serve over more ice.
What’s Up, Doc
Carrots are anti-funghal or anti-bacterial—which doesn’t sound appealing at all, because it treats the biggest blemish on your skin, literally. A full serving of carrots everyday treats acne by keeping skin hydrated and balanced. It’s also an oral moisturizer, great for evening out skin tones or reducing scarring.
Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 large cucumber (aids in digestion and stress relief)
- 4 medium carrots (plenty of antioxidants, improves vision, healthy skin, vitamin A)
- 2 green apples (plenty of antioxidants and fiber, reduces risk of cancer, hypertensions, diabetes, heart disease)
- 2 red apples (plenty of antioxidants and fiber, reduces risk of cancer, hypertensions, diabetes, heart disease)
- 2 large oranges (plenty of vitamins, aids in disease prevention)
- Slice all ingredients into manageable pieces.
- Place ingredients through a juicer.
- Stir until all juice is combined.
- Refrigerate and serve over ice.
Piña Cool Down
Pineapple is amazing for your body on every level: on top, it prevents hair loss; at the bottom, it lowers blood pressure. And in terms of your skin, it pumps up the collagen for clearer, brighter, softer skin. It sounds like a generic beauty commercial, but even the bananas create a well-rounded look—they promote better sleep patterns and treat insomia, which is your first step toward getting rid of under-eye circles.
Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 cups pineapple
- 2 large bananas
- 2 large mangoes
- 5 cups spinach
- Blend all ingredients with 2 cups ice until smooth.