Our Ode to Oktoberfest: Beer-Battered BrainsOctober 7, 2015
October is usually a month with many excuses for celebrations. It’s Oktoberfest in the Philippines, and Halloween, too. The holidays are so near, and us Pinoys make a case for going out and having a good time. But what about staying in, and throwing a wild bash instead? We have the best recipe for you, and have made it look as wild as possible.
There are no faux red Jell-O brains here, or strawberry brain cupcakes. These are real, ooey, gooey beef brains, in all their offal glory. We’ve battered them with beer as an ode to Oktoberfest, and left some raw ones to spook anyone unafraid of Halloween. They may look gory but these things are crispy and delicious.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 calves brains, halved
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups beer
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the oil in a deep pot and heat to 375F.
- Pat brains dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the flour, egg, beer, salt, and pepper into a bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Dip the brains into the beer batter and then into the fry oil.
- Fry the brains until the batter is golden.
- Remove the brains from the oil and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.