This golden foil-wrapped nutty confectionery is a treat I closely associate to my childhood. Before, it was an indication that someone came from the airport or Duty Free whenever I’d come home and see the familiar pink tin cans sprawled across the dining table.
My mum and grandma would always reuse these containers with their snap-on lids and turn them into canisters for their sewing materials or chicken powder, fooling me and the rest of my family into thinking that there was still some golden treasure hiding inside those cans. I eventually picked up the habit myself and started using the Almond Roca cans for my Polly Pocket people and Monopoly houses, duping my mum (and sometimes, my grandma) this time around.
These days, you can grab a can of Almond Roca in most supermarkets, but today on Pepper, we’ll show you how to make these addicting, almond-sprinkled chocolate-covered toffee candies at home. Best thing about this recipe is that you can substitute the almonds with other nuts such as macadamia nuts, pistachios, or walnuts, as you please. As a final touch, wrap them in golden foil, and if you still have some of those pink tin cans lying around your house, now’s the perfect time to use them for what they were originally meant for.
Almond Roca Food Hack
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 20 servings
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped (filling)
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped (topping)
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Line a 9×12″ pan with foil. Brush with melted butter and then set aside.
- In a small pot, melt together butter & brown sugar, and boil until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a candy thermometer to check temperature.
- Once the temperature hits 295-300, remove from fire and stir in chopped almonds.
- Pour into foil-lined pan. Top with chocolate chips.
- Wait a while for the chocolate chips to melt. When melted, spread the chocolate all over the top.
- Sprinkle with almonds as a final topping.
- Chill for 30 mins the break into pieces once.
- Keep in an air tight container and snack away!