“Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot! The more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your beans with every meal!”Or so the song goes.
The following concoction is guaranteed to make you… musical with sweet joy! (The root beer is responsible for the sweet part.) If you eat it with friends, be prepared for a symphony. Never mind the gross factor, because it will all be put together beautifully. That, and true friends are comfortably gross with each other, anyway.
This is perfect for a backyard barbecue, pizza party, and even a drinking marathon complete with old fashioned beer pong. It’s good hot or cold, whether as a side dish or on its own.
This is for the guys who aren’t shy about their 1-packs, actively passively watching games on their large flat screen TV’s sans alcoholic intake. You see, this recipe calls for root beer—not the intoxicating golden nectar from Dionysus—and we decided to use Mug (which is caffeine and gluten-free, mind you) for that.
So start a concert in the comfort of your own home, but please don’t record it. Some things are better off as one-time live performances.
Rootbeer Boiled Bacon and Beans
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2 cans root beer
- 3 cups raw white beans
- 1/2 kg bacon, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Rinse well and put in a stock pot together with rootbeer and water.
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Boil for 1 1/2 hours while checking water regularly(add water if needed, but not too much because we still want the end product to be dry).
- When beans are soft, Add in chopped bacon and boil for 10 minutes or until bacon is cooked and liquid has evaporated. (This means that the rootbeer flavor has already been abrorbed by the beans.
- Check and adjust seasonings.
- Turn off fire and toss in chopped parsley and extra virgin olive oil.