Want to learn how to cry? Simple. Grab a knife, chopping board, buckets of onions and start shredding! It’s a guaranteed way to shed some tears, making you look like the bullied protagonist of some tacky telenovela, complete with snot dripping down your nose.
In fact, onions contain some scientific thingy called S-Oxide, which is released whenever they’re chopped. And yes, this is responsible for irritating the lachrymal glands in your eyes; ergo, producing the saline drops that start to trickle. (Translate: Onions make you cry like a baby.)
And speaking of tears, here’s a dish that would give you tons of it in more ways than one.
Presenting *drumroll please*…the French Onion Sandwich!
Inspired by a favorite soup, this French Onion Sandwich is a more satisfying alternative for the hungry and ravenous! Ugh. You’d be crazy to resist this, I swear.
It’s pretty simple to prepare, too—even this blind fellow can do it.
If you want to have something to cry about, then indulge in this scrumptious French Onion Sandwich. It’s worth every single teardrop, we promise.
French Onion Sandwich
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients for the Caramelized Onions
- 2 cups white onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
Ingredients for the Gruyere Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 pcs wheat or white bread
- 2-4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
Procedure for the Caramelized Onions
- Heat pan on low flame. Melt butter and add onions, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Sweat onions until soft.
- Continue cooking for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized.
- If some parts are burnt, just add a tablespoon of water, mix and let it evaporate.
- Repeat until it is caramelized. set aside.
- Layer one bread, top with 1/4 cup caramelized onions and half the cheese.
- Top with another bread. spread butter on both outer sides of the sandwich.
- Heat a non stick pan and grill sandwich on both sides until cheese has melted and bread is browned.
- Repeat for the other sandwich.