Vegetables don’t get enough love here at Pepper.ph but that may all change soon, thanks to this veggie dish that had all of us drooling. It has absolutely no bacon but contains something far more impressive, and expensive.
This Greek moussaka-inspired dish is layered with grilled eggplant, assorted mushrooms, ground beef, and topped with bechamel. It looks like a pie your lola would make, but ours has a special ingredient that will have you coming back for seconds.
Truffles are the most expensive fungus on earth so we third-worlders settle for truffle paste instead. It gives that earthy-spicy flavor associated with truffles, and makes you feel like you’re rolling in dough. Do not confuse with other “magical mushrooms”, though the feel-good effect will have you wanting to put truffle paste in everything you eat.
Truffled Mushroom Moussaka
Total Time: 60 minutes / Yield: 1 casserole
Ingredients for the Eggplant Filling
- 6-8 eggplants
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Mushroom Filling
- 350 g assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tbsp truffle paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pc beef bouillon
- Truffle oil
Ingredients for the Ground Beef Filling
- 250 g lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper
Ingredients for the White Sauce Topping
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp truffle oil
- 2 whole eggs
Procedure for the Eggplant Filling
- Peel eggplant and rinse. Slice into 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss in olive oil. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes on both sides, until half-cooked. Set aside.
Procedure for the Mushroom Filling
- Melt butter in pan over medium flame.
- Sauté garlic for 1 minute.
- Add in mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add in white wine. Boil for 3 minutes or until wine has evaporated.
- Add in cream, truffle paste, salt, pepper, sugar and beef bouillon. Adjust seasonings.
- Add the truffle paste and turn off fire and set aside.
Procedure for the Ground Beef Filling
- Heat oil in pan over medium flame.
- Sauté ground beef for 5-7 minutes or until cooked and dry. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off fire and set aside.
Procedure for the White Sauce Topping
- Melt butter over medium flame and add in flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbling.
- Slowly add in milk in a steady stream while whisking constantly.
- In a bowl, beat together 2 eggs.
- Pour in milk mixture slowly to the beaten egg while continuously whisking.
- Transfer back to the sauce pan. Let it boil for 3-5 minutes or until thick.
- Prepare one lasagna casserole.
- Layer ground beef on casserole.
- Arrange half of the grilled eggplant on top of beef layer.
- Spread 2/3 of the truffle mushroom mixture.
- Arrange another half of the grilled eggplant.
- Spread remaining truffle mushroom mixture.
- Top with white sauce.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-35 minutes, or until top edges are browned.
- Serve while warm.
- Make sure to use quality ground beef for this recipe.